Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top Of The Town

I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve visited Paris and I can’t remember how many times I’ve seen the Eiffel Tower up close and personal, but today was the first day in my life I have explored the summit of Monsieur Eiffel’s spectacular erection.

I’m unsure as to why this is. In the early days of my backpacking adventures it would have had to do with cost. In recent years it would have had to do with queues. But today, we three cashed-up tourists set out bright and early and arrived at the launch pad before any crowds had mustered.

The experience was magical – even, to borrow one of Chris's favourite expressions, “mind-blowing”. My companions were in equal amounts of awe. Once at the top and looking at Paris from a high, through the mist, Chris noted that the tower was swaying in the wind. When I reminded him the structure was originally intended to be standing for just 20 years, and was built in the late 1800s, we descended tout de suite. With our feet firmly planted on the ground, Sam cried out in despair, tears running down his cheeks, “I don’t want to leave the Eiffel Tower!”

P1010190
Level 2 of Eiffel Tower, on the way to the summit

P1010194
Safe again on Terra Firma

Sam is an extremely well-travelled four-and-a-half year old, but nothing has captured his imagination quite like the cast-iron wonder. Since seeing it again on Sunday Sam has fired questions at me about its size, age, construction and history. Fortunately, a few years ago I wrote a short history of the landmark (see it here – http://www.iconistry.com/2011/01/eiffel-tower.html – on our website ‘Iconistry’) and was well armed when the barrage began. We have promised him we will return before we leave next week.

In other news, we spent a freezing morning yesterday in the Luxembourg Gardens while Sam amused himself in the playground…

P1010182
It’s all fun until someone loses a finger, thanks to frostbite…

…and we stopped by the Musee Rodin following our Eiffel Tower adventure today…

P1010196
Sam and Rodin’s ‘The Thinker’ – it possible for a photo to be oxymoronic?

Finally, just this afternoon Sam amused an entire green grocery store with his bold experiments with the French language. At the green grocer:

Fruiterer: “Bonjour.”

Sam: “Bonjour.”

Fruiterer: “Ca va?”

Sam: “Tres bien.”

(fruiterer and shop assistant laugh)

Sam: “What do I say next, Mum?”

Mum: “Merci. Au revoir.”

Sam: “Merci. Au revoir.”

Fruiterer and assistant (waving & laughing): “Au revoir!”

No comments:

Post a Comment