Friday, March 15, 2013

Museums, monuments, memorials and M Street

We have wandered the length and breadth of DC taking in the capital's many sights. The Lincoln Memorial was awesome and I enjoyed the Museum of American History that featured an exhibition of American Presidents and First Ladies. I also got a buzz seeing Julia Childs' kitchen. Sam loved the exhibition on transportation as plenty of ships featured. But by the time we got to the Museum of Air and Space, Sam was a little over museums, so we went outside and took some family pics.




Benny is nonplussed by the entire experience of travel. He most enjoys waving to Americans from the comfort of his pram, or falling asleep. I must add, however, that 'Winter Benny' is extremely cute.




Americans do the grandeur of memorials and monuments very well. In fact, they put Australia to shame on this front. While the Australian War Memorial is one of the best of its kind in the world, it never makes me well up. But my hand was on my heart at the Lincoln Memorial yesterday. You've got to hand it to them, Americans do the M's very well. 


Chris had a small rant regarding how much these memorials would have cost to build, and I guess he has a point. Even Sam asked me why Americans love their country so much. I told him Australians love Australia as well, it's just that we don't like to admit it, except on the sporting field.

But far more emotionally significant for me than all of the above was my visit to M Street in Georgetown. This is the site of a few great purchases that really made me cry, this time for joy - two pairs of jeans, a really fabulous between-seasons jacket and a pair of Camper boots that I've had my online eyes on for a while. Magnificent!


No comments:

Post a Comment